Founded in 1934 in order to serve employees of the Kansas City Missouri Police Department and their families, we were originally known as the K.C. Policemen’s Credit Union. Volunteers worked out of a shoe box in those early years, struggling to keep our fledgling cooperative alive at the height of the Great Depression. Ledgers from that time show just how dedicated our members were, often donating money to keep the Credit Union solvent at a time when thousands of banks were failing all over the United States.
The Credit Union grew steadily throughout the next several decades, thanks to its loyal members and the careful stewardship of leaders such as:
In 1990, the Credit Union membership voted to change the Credit Union’s name from “K.C. Policemen’s” to “K.C. Police” in order to more accurately reflect all of our eligible membership. At that time, the Credit Union served 5,022 members and had grown to about $47 million in assets.
1998 was a year of big changes, as the Credit Union opened its first standalone branch facility at 2800 E 14th Street, hired several new staff and converted to a new computer system. At that time, the Credit Union served nearly 7,000 members, had added mortgage loans, credit cards, a second branch at 1125 Locust, a network of seven ATMs, and had joined the World Wide Web.
In 2001, our membership voted to expand the Credit Union’s field of membership to include other public safety officials and their family members, spurring a new round of growth and potential.
In 2015, our membership again voted to change our name to Greater KC Public Safety Credit Union in order to better reflect our entire membership. Since that change, the Credit Union has grown to $140 million in assets, and now serves more than 12,000 members.
Our popular North Branch was opened in 2005 in a strip mall near the intersection of Hwy 152 and N. Brighton. In 2010, we built our own branch building across the street. Its convenient location and friendly staff have made it our most popular branch!
Two additional branches were added in 2012, one in Independence and the other in the KCPD South Patrol complex, bringing the total to four branch locations around the metro area.
Overland Park Branch – Now Open – We are excited to better serve our Kansas First Responders and their families. You will find us at 123rd & Blue Valley Parkway (old Wendy’s building) next door to the gas station.